Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

The Void Mindset: A Higher Consciousness

The final state that a martial artist may reach is the void mindset. Void is representative of pure creative energy and also alludes to a connection to a higher being. Essentially the kenpo karate student in this mindset is able to act on instinct, he or she is more attuned with their surroundings and will react without thinking or using their conventional senses.

The best way for me to describe this mindset further is to relay my own experience. That is not to say that I am constantly in this state; the fact is I’ve only been in this state twice.

The first time I was in this state, I was getting off the bus when I was in high school. There was a beam (knee high) that my dad placed in between our property and our neighbors because we had a lot of people driving through our yard… long story. Anyway I would always jump over it when I got off the bus, however one day I tripped over it and I don’t personally recall the incident, but my sister, who got off after me, saw me turn that trip into a forward roll and ultimately landing on my feet.

I won’t get into the second time, but the idea is that this state typically hits you when you least expect and usually you will not really remember the incident at all.

I would also like to mention that none of these signs are forever. I know it may have sounded in my previous post that once you go to the next stage you remain in that stage, but I want to be perfectly clear that it doesn’t work like that.

The void state is one that happens, but with years of experience it happens more often. The earth state can sometimes come back like a season in one’s life; it just needs to me re-conquered. The others are just as fleeting and also just as easy to recapture. Just like all martial arts techniques, these states take focus and experience to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment