Pages

Friday, December 23, 2011

The Creed of Martial Artists

"I come to you with only karate, empty hands. I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor, should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong, then here are my weapons: karate, my empty hands." —Ed Parker - March, 1957
For those who do not know, Ed Parker is one of the founders of kenpo karate. Many might argue that he is the one true founder, but I would have to disagree with that on account that every master was once a student, who blossomed into a martial artist and finally achieved mastership by testing his/her limits and surpassing them. It may be later asked, then who is the founder of any martial art? But that is not the point of this post. The quote is what I wish to draw attention to. I would like to begin this blog by saying this quote is the creed of kenpo karate, and should be the creed of all martial artists.

“I come to you with only karate, empty hands.” meaning I have no ill-will towards anyone or I have no intent to harm anyone. My hands are empty and gentle. “but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor, should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong, then here are my weapons: karate, my empty hands.” meaning if one should cause me to defend myself, if one intends to harm me, then my knowledge as a martial artist, a practitioner of kenpo karate, will serve as my weapon.

A student of kenpo karate is not one looking for fights or one who wants to show off his/her skills. A student of kenpo karate, or any martial artist, is one who values certain traits above others. These include gentleness, kindness, self-control, goodness, love, forbearance, joy, faithfulness and peace.

I believe the words of Ed Parker echo these ideals and that all martial artists should practice them.

No comments:

Post a Comment