Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Bullying

I've been reading a lot of posts lately on the issue of bullying and I think that there are still too few. What I mean by this is that though it may seem like a simple issue, it really isn't. Kids are killing themselves because of the torment that they receive in school.

 I used to think that I was bullied when I was in school, but I've never been pushed to the point of hurting someone or taking my life. So I can't say for sure what is going on in these schools, but I will say that it isn't the school's fault.

I feel that often parents don't spend enough time with their kids. They don't share with them lessons of kindness or generosity. But this isn't always the problem. Parents are busy; both of my parents had to work to provide for a family and times now are even harder. 3 or 4 jobs split between two people is hard. These times are hard on all of us. No it really isn't the parent's fault, not entirely.

Somewhere the child was never taught respect. They never understood the concept of restraint or empathy, so they understood when they were hurting someone. Or maybe the fact is that we are just cruel on the inside.

I honestly don't know what to say here. I don't understand why some kids bully and others get bullied. I felt like I had to say something. And if you want to join the cause to stop bullying, try these places:

http://www.standtogether.tv/

http://www.dig4kids.org/bully-prevention/

http://www.parentfurther.com/high-risk-behaviors/bullying

I personally believe that it starts at home, teaching our children that picking on others, singling them out and joining others in harassing them is wrong. Teasing is OK; teasing is a sign of love, but there is line that is crossed when it comes to bullying. Bullying is cruel and malicious. It has no love, only animosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment